is it Induction Hardened ?
Among many application of induction
Heaters, hardening is more predominant.it is worthwhile
to summarise some of the advantages of it.
* Efficient way of heating exactly at the specified
area of the job.
* Uniform result with an established heating
* A substantial reduction in heating time, increased
rate of production.
* Rejection reduction to minimum or entirely
* Elimination of subsequent operation like
cleaning and straightening.
* Elimination of dirty and hazardous carborising
* Cheaper, readily available and easily
machinable plain carbon steel replaces costly
alloy and special steel.
* Accurate control of case depth.
* Quickest way of case hardening.
* No oxidation or scaling on the surface.
* Normalisation and tempering operation
* The inner cores and other surface practically
remains cool and unaltered metallurgical.
* Hyper hardness of 2 to 7 Rc higher than conventional
means obtained because of more complete
solution and diffusion of iron carbide.
* Produces a fine and homogenous nodular type
of martensite structure.
* Severity in quenching is not need as in
case of furnace heating.
* Machinability after heat treatment is
possible on surface other than the specified
* No skilled operator is needed and equipment
can be completely utomated.
* No standby losses, no shutdown and less maintenance.¨
Equipment ready for use immediately.
* Inspection requirement simplified by timely
detection of defective parts during heating.
* Uniform temperature distribution upon
the desired depth by curie effect.
* A gradient transition zone form hardened
surface to ductile core increases strength.
* A good finish and fewer problems in grinding
as a result of fine grain size.
* Does not require large area of floor space.
* Induction heating equipment can be incorporated
with other machine in manufacturing
* Operational environment is cleaner and
safer than the other existing and contemplated
* Selective hardening without copper plating
and machining as in conventional methods.
* Self-quenching is possible with a rapid
heating by high power density next only to
* Hardening the job submerged in quenching tank
is possible only by this process.
* Different degree of hardness in single
* All these advantages of Induction hardening
opens up new possibilities for a design
engineer in his product design.